Saturday 25 April 2009

The first shadow puppet

This is going to be a short one today, just to show you what I've been up to.

I wanted to get one of the shadow puppets started, so although it's incomplete, here's a picture:



As you can see, it's pretty small, but that's ok - I'll be using a highly focused beam to shine through it so it shouldn't be too fuzzy. Besides, what I really want is it to be little to start with so you can get the full idea of just how gigantic it was. This particular one is a reconstruction of Parapuzosia seppenradensis - a Cretaceous giant reaching an estimated 2.5m across! That's without all the palaver of tentacles, which I'll be adding later.

I started out with thick black card, copied my picture onto the back of it, then using a craft kinife cut the sections out one at a time, leaving the outer rim in tact, but then taking out the outline of the inner whorls to make sure that I got the full sense of that coiling. Then I cut up one of those coloured transparent document folders and stuck a bit of one onto the back - simple!

Further updates with shadow puppets to follow, plus news about my life-sized model of Arthropleura. Should be fun!

All the best!

Alex :)

No comments:

Post a Comment